AYLP - Peru
AYLP Peru Exchange: Summer 2013
This exciting program brings together 16 U.S. youth and 3 educators of diverse backgrounds for a unique cross-cultural opportunity to explore the country and culture of Peru, as well as issues of food security and nutrition. The American Youth Leadership Program (AYLP) is sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State and World Savvy. Project partners are Global Citizens Network and development organization JIREH.
Click here to learn more about the AYLP.
Applications are now CLOSED for this program.
There is no cost for this program. This program is funded by the U.S. Department of State and World Savvy, and includes: round-trip airfare to the host country, all lodging, meals, and transportation, Department of State provided accident and sickness protection, costs related to daily activities and in-country trips. This trip does NOT include: immunization fees (although limited financial assistance is available), routine care for pre-existing conditions, transportation to and from local, regional orientations in New York City, San Francisco, and Minneapolis, and spending money for souvenirs while traveling.
Applicants will be selected based on merit from a competitive and diverse pool of submissions. All participants must:
- Be U.S. citizens (due to travel and visa requirements)
- Live within a 100 mile radius of one of World Savvy's program cities (San Francisco, Minneapolis-St. Paul, and New York City)
- Commit to participate in all program activities including pre-trip orientations, travel to Peru, and post-trip assignments and group gatherings. It is critical that participants are able to make it to all pre and post trip activities located at World Savvy’s offices despite the distance of their residence.
- (for student applicants only) Be between the ages of 15 and 17 (as of June 17, 2013), with at least one semester of high school remaining as of June, 2013
- (for student applicants only) Have a minimum GPA of 2.5, or at least a 0.5 improvement in GPA within the last year of school
- (for educator applicants only) Have worked with high-school aged youth for at least one year and currently be teaching at a high school or middle school.
Applicants are ineligible if:
- S/he has previously traveled outside the U.S. on any Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs-funded program within the past three years or if s/he has accepted a scholarship for an impending U.S. Government-funded exchange program. Should an applicant be accepted for more than one ECA-funded youth program in this timeframe s/he must choose between the programs and select only one program in which to participate.
- S/he is a family member (spouse or dependent child) of employees of the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs- Youth Programs Division.
- S/he is a family member (spouse or dependent child) of employees of World Savvy or project partners who work on the AYLP.
Participants of all backgrounds and abilities are encouraged to apply, and successful educator participants will come from a range of disciplines. Spanish language skills for this program are not a requirement.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.