Issue 10, August 2009
|Repercussions: Higher Education|
The problems of primary and secondary education are amplified at the university level, leading to a situation in which Mexican workers are severely disadvantaged relative to their international competitors.
Another indicator used to measure the sophistication of a country’s graduates is the number of patents registered for new products. As Latin American expert Andres Oppenheimer has noted, in Mexico only 4% of all patents registered in any given year are registered by Mexican citizens; the other 96% are in the name of multinational corporations which have developed the requisite technology elsewhere using non-Mexican talent. He writes:
In other countries where the overall quality of education is lagging, many talented students study abroad and return home to help improve the system. Mexico sends relatively few students to study in other countries, and those that are sent often fail to return because of the lack of opportunities in Mexico.