Going Forward: Knowledge to Action
There are opportunities for individuals to become involved in migration issues of all kinds. NGOs that support migrants and advocate for the rights of people on the move everywhere operate internationally, nationally and locally. They provide services that range from research on demographic and policy trends, to education for the public on issues of concern, to political advocacy, to financial and logistical support for people living outside their home communities.
- Donate: money, time, and in-kind resources to international NGOs and community-based organizations who work with migrants.
- Educate: teach others and raise awareness of important migration issues.
- Volunteer: tutor immigrants in English, help with resume writing or employment, assist newly arrived families with orientation and logistics.
- Advocate: engage in the political process as it pertains to civil rights and public support for immigrant populations.
- Support: self-help ventures and small businesses owned and run by immigrants, as well as organizations that facilitate the entrepreneurship of disadvantaged groups worldwide. See the Global Goods Partners website for more information.
- Appreciate: the benefits of human mobility, the personal hardship faced by many migrants and the often mixed messages society sends to foreign born individuals.
UNHCR Education and Sports Campaign
International Rescue Committee
Human Rights Watch
Migration is very much linked to poverty, conflict and environmental sustainability. Addressing these root causes of displacement on multiple fronts is critical, as is tackling the discrimination and isolation of individuals everywhere.
Next: Sources: Key Foundation Documents