"When I think of people in the community who make room at the table for all, make them feel part of something completely imperative to the city and the world, I think of World Savvy." -MAP Teacher
World Savvy thrives based on the efforts of our talented staff, board members, advisory council and volunteers who are passionate about education and believe in the critical importance of developing global citizenship, knowledge and skills. Our staff represents a diverse group of interests, experience and expertise, including international affairs, international social work, social justice, journalism and arts education. We are located in three offices: San Francisco, Minneapolis-St. Paul and New York.
Careers and Opportunities
World Savvy is committed to building a diverse team of talented individuals dedicated to global education. We are currently hiring for the following position:
Director of Finance & Administration
The Director of Finance and Administration will be a hands-on manager who will lead and develop an internal team to support the following areas: finance, budgeting, human resources, administration, and IT, reporting directly to the ED located in Minneapolis. The Director of Finance & Administration must be capable of providing solid financial and operational leadership and support to a fast growing organization. Must have proven managerial expertise, and be comfortable as part of the senior management team helping to guide the growth of a national educational nonprofit whose staff and board span 3 cities.
The Director of Finance and Administration will play a critical role in partnering with the senior leadership team in strategic decision making and operations as World Savvy continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- • Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ED; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- • Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- • Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- • Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- • Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors.
Human Resources, Technology and Administration
- Further develop World Savvy’s human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training and recruiting.
- Ensure that recruiting processes are consistent and streamlined.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
- Oversee the design and maintenance of World Savvy’s website and associated online offerings for alignment with strategic organizational and programmatic goals
- Identify and integrate relevant technologies which enhance operational efficiency and programmatic growth and development
- Minimum of a B.A., ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree
- Require supervisory experience and experience working effectively as part of a senior management team
- At least 7-10 years of overall professional experience; ideally 6 years of broad non-profit financial and operations management experience
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- Knowledge of Salesforce and CRM technologies and best practices
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Proven track record of strong team management across geographies
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of Blackboard and LMS technologies and best practices
Interested applicants, please send a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com with “Director of Finance & Administration” in the email subject line. No phone calls, please.
Development Associate - San Francisco or Minneapolis
Summary: Under supervision from the Director of External Relations the Development Associate is chiefly responsible for managing the day-to-day operations functions for World Savvy’s development effort.
Distinguishing Features: This job requires strong attention to detail, research, organizational management skills, customer service and collaboration with the Director of External Relations and Program Staff and Board for implementation achievement of fundraising plan.
Specifically, candidates should demonstrate the ability to:
- Manage multiple projects under tight deadlines, effectively;
- Communicate clearly and effectively with internal and external constituents and in written and oral communications;
- Create highly responsive and transparent communication platform within External Relations for critical audiences who are involved in helping accomplish World Savvy’s fundraising goals;
- Remain flexible and responsive to organizational change while completing tasks.
Salary: Competitive, DOE
Schedule: Full Time
Projected Start Date: February 1, 2014
Application Deadline: open until position is filled
Location: San Francisco or Minneapolis
Responsibilities of the Development Associate include:
- Lead on integration of SalesForce CRM into daily Development operations, including the creation of dashboards and other critical reports for tracking and managing progress toward goals.
- Manage timeline for development projects, including grant writing individual giving campaigns, reporting, and prospect research.
- Develop and implement communications approach for staff and volunteers/board who are critical in helping achieve fund development goals.
- Work with Staff Accountant to reconcile gifts on a monthly basis
- Process donations and prepare acknowledgement letters and other correspondence.
- Assist in the production of proposal narratives, grants as well as school and district partnership proposals, with specific attention to supporting documents, budget, financials, and other information required by potential grantees or partners.
- Work with Communications Associate to guarantee that donors are communicated with effectively and appropriately.
- Create, organize and maintain development files, physical and digital.
- Salesforce data entry and management for donor records.
- Represent organization at community events, for recruitment and visibility, some of which occur evenings and weekends.
- Other duties as assigned.
Candidates must have:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Strong and demonstrated commitment to World Savvy’s mission
- 2 years of experience working as in Development and Fundraising with specific experience in supporting individual giving campaigns.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and SalesForce CRM or equivalent database.
- High-level attention to details
- Ability to work on time sensitive projects
- Positive attitude and works well with people from a variety of backgrounds.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively in a small and collaborative team environment.
- Self-motivation and the ability to work independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with deadline orientation.
- Strong time management and multi-task management skills.
- Knowledge of Salesforce and CRM technologies and best practices
- Advanced computer skills, including comfort with Adobe Creative Suites (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat)
Interested applicants, please send a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Associate” in the email subject line. No phone calls please.
**We are no longer hiring for an Executive Assistant**
Join our Board
The 2012-13 Board of Directors Recruitment Prospectus and Nominations Kit are now available to interested community members. This kit contains all necessary information regarding how to nominate oneself to the Board of Directors of World Savvy. Currently, World Savvy is seeking up to (3) community representatives for nomination during the 2012-13 cycle. Nominations are accepted throughout the year. 2012-13 Board of Directors Recruitment and Prospectus Kit.
Join our National Advisory Council
World Savvy benefits from the expertise and experience of a wide array of professionals across sectors, nationwide. Our Advisory Council supports program development, fundraising, evaluation and outreach in a variety of ways. Meet Our 2011-12 Advisory Council...
World Savvy’s Volunteer Program is supported by nearly 300 core volunteers who are dedicated to our mission. We are grateful for their enthusiasm and hard work. World Savvy offers a variety of both long-term and short-term volunteer opportunities. Read more...